Friday, June 11, 2010

Favorite Photo Friday

I took this shot hoping it would turn out specifically for Favorite Photo Friday this week.  We went to the Wild Animal Park for the Curator Club night and had a great time.  We had the park almost to ourselves since it was after closing time.  Now the San Diego Zoological Society has one of the largest (if not the largest) collection of plants in the world (most people don't know this).  They are committed to protecting not only animals, but plant species as well.  With that said, there is an amazing number of strange plants to take pictures of which is always fun.  This beauty was a rather large bush with this type of flower all over it.  I took the shot with my Nikon D50, 28-300mm zoom lens.  It was early evening here, no idea what the camera setting were.  I wanted to focus on the flowers in the foreground but still be able to see the wonderufl orange in the background too.  I got as close as I could to the foreground flowers while still being able to focus on them to help blur the background (using the zoom function can be helpful for this).  Overall I think it turned out pretty nice, I hope you all agree.  I did a little light adjustment to this pic, but cannot post my original as it is shot in RAW and the file format is not recognized here.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to visit your shot this week. I am a school teacher and well - a week and a half to go with students - It has been just a little bit insane up to this point.

That is such a unique flower? plant? the little green ball with the dots on top look like a topiary kind of thing.

It is amazing what our minds will come up with when we don't see the full picture - but I like the close up

I did a search and found that it is probably:
Lion’s tail (Leonotis leonurus), also called lion’s ear or wild dagga, is native to South Africa and is a member of the mint family. Here is a link to the web page with another photo of it.

http://cms.herbalgram.org/virtualtour/SWPollinator.html

It is the 4th photo down..

I love how there is so much to learn on the internet,

Thanks for sharing you photo this week!

Valerie